E-Cigarette Battery Explodes In A Man’s Pocket Leaving Him With Severe Burns

‘Smoking kills’, we have all grown up listening to it but seemingly keeping a cigarette in pocket is as destructive as smoking. A bizarre incident occurred in the Owensboro, Kentucky where an electronic cigarette battery exploded inside a man’s pocket, which gave him second degree burns in his right thigh.

The surveillance camera inside the gas station where the episode took place recorded the whole incident where Josh Hamilton, a local resident went to the counter to pay for the snacks. In a jiffy, there was fire and flames all around his legs. Hamilton stepped back from the counter, shaking his leg, and then ran outside for help.

“He was giving me money, he put his hand in his pocket, so suddenly there was fire. Big fire, and he was burning,” quoted Jessie Singh told CNN who was working at the counter. To get rid of the flames, he removed his pants and another employee at the station sprayed fire extinguisher on his leg. After a while, Hamilton was taken to the hospital for further treatment.

This is not the first time such spontaneous fire explosion incident has occurred. E-cigarettes are a cause a concern for many. Last month, a man was left with horrendous burns after an e-cigarette blew up in his pocket and set fire to his entire leg. Robbie Robson, 24, heard a loud bang and his entire left leg busted into blaze. In October’15,  a Florida man, 21, suffered serious injures and was placed in medically induced comatose after e-cigarette exploded and covered his neck, face and lungs.

E-cigarettes are battery-operated devices that release liquid laden with nicotine, in vaporous form for users to inhale it. The Food and Drug Administration do not regulate the devices and the liquid as per now. Moreover, 9 million Americans use e-cigarettes on daily basis.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply