FBI Director James Comey told Congress on Sunday that the agency hasn’t changed its opinion that Hillary Clinton should not face criminal charges after a review of new emails.
“Based on our review, we have not changed our conclusions that we expressed in July,” Comey wrote in the new letter to congressional committee chairmen.
What is said to be the most controversial issue for Clinton during her presidential campaign has now taken a cool stand but when the FBI director sent a letter to Congress saying the FBI had discovered emails in a separate investigation that could be connected to the now-closed probe of mishandled classified information by Clinton shook the base of Clinton campaign. The move exasperated Democrats and bolstered Republican nominee Donald Trump.
To an extent this news, which spread like a fire helped Donald Trump, had a slight lead over Clinton in the last two national polls.
Trumps, Of course, unhappy with the final investigative report attacked the FBI’s handling of the matter, though he did not directly address Comey’s announcement at a rally in Sterling Heights, Michigan.
“You can’t review 650,000 new emails in eight days. You can’t do it, folks,” Trump said, adding, “Hillary Clinton is guilty. She knows it, the FBI knows it, the people know it, and now it’s up to the American people to deliver justice at the ballot box on November 8.”
The senior law enforcement official said that it was not much clear whether the review would be completed by Election Day. But after days of working in shifts around the clock, teams of counterintelligence agents and expertise specialists at the bureau’s headquarters in Washington completed their examination of the thousands of emails. Officials had decided to make their decision public as soon as they had reached it, to avoid any suggestion that they were suppressing information.
According to the law enforcement official, many of the emails were personal messages or duplicates of ones that the bureau had previously scanned during the original inquiry.
Brian Fallon, a spokesman for Mrs. Clinton tweeted on twitter the campaign had always believed she would be cleared of any misconduct.
“We were always confident nothing would cause the July decision to be revisited,” Mr. Fallon said. “Now Director Comey has confirmed it